The Visualize Trainer
The Visualize trainer is a low-cost box training model built to aid midwives in learning to perform visual inspection with acetic acid (VIA) using realistic simulation with an electronic feedback mechanism. The training model:
- Allows students to practice VIA at their own pace
- Gives students exposure to many different VIA outcomes
- Allows students to gain confidence in performing VIA before screening any patients
- The training model features a simulated vaginal cavity that allows a student to pass a speculum and examine a pictured cervix.
- The student using the training model is guided through the process by using the Arduino microcontroller and LCD screen.
- Images of cervixes before and after applying acetic acid are shown on a set of acrylic tabs. hese 8 tabs can be inserted into the left side of the training model box and are visible behind the simulated vaginal cavity.
- Image "A" is a photo of a cervix before acetic acid is applied.
- Image "B" is a photo of the same cervix after acetic acid is applied.
- Images of cervixes after applying acetic acid are shown on a set of paper flashcards developed by Jhpiego. The flashcards present over 100 different cervixes. These 100+ flashcards can be inserted into the top of the training model box and are visible behind the simulated vaginal cavity.